Some of these sites are in Tickenham, Wraxall or Backwell parishes
Click here to download the PDF file (The map and the text) for printout
- The Land Yeo is ducted as a leat, raising the level of the river well above the adjoining fields. The embankments for this were probably constructed in the 14th Century by the Augustinian Monks for their mill at Middleton in Tickenham
- Towerhouse Wood is ancient woodland purchased by the Woodland Trust in 1992. It contains a lime kiln (dated before 1750). In the field to the south are the remains of a seasonal Mesolithic encampment dating back 6000 years, with many worked flints. A short distance to the east, an Iron Age bronze torque was found in 1837
- The Roman Villa, noted for its under-floor heating and mosaic floor, was largely vandalised in the19th century. Much of the stonework was incorporated into local buildings.
- Birdcombe Court A private chapel was built here in 1331, later coming under the ownership of a dissolute youth, who wasted much of his inheritance by gaming and betting. The building is still extant.
- Coate’s Cider Factory working from 1925 to 1974. It had over 100 Oak vats.
- Wraxall Mill is one of several on the Land Yeo, most of which have now disappeared; none remain in working order.
- Tyntesfield house owned by the National Trust is the well-preserved residence of the Gibbs family, who made a fortune by marketing bat and bird droppings (guano) mined in Peru as an agricultural fertilizer.
- Wraxall Church of All Saints dates from 1220
- Remains of the Mediaeval Village now only to be seen as undulations on the surface of the field. This is under the protection of English Heritage.
- Whelps Place close to the Mediaeval Village and now in ruins, was a kennels for hunting dogs
- Old Glassworks founded by John Robert Lucas in 1788. Initially there were two cones – one for bottle making, the other for the production of window glass. Both were demolished in 1905
- The Engine House remaining on Scotch Horn.
- Middle Engine Pit The best example of an 18th Century pit head in the UK, now protected by English Heritage.
- The Pennant Sandstone quarry at Trendlewood has now been incorporated into Trendlewood Park, owned by North Somerset Council, and managed locally. The woodland is being restored to encourage the wildlife.
- Holes in the wall (six, about 1” diameter) which probably held rings used for tethering the pit ponies
- East End Pit is marked as a pile of spoil planted with native trees, and which now abounds in wildlife. This is near East End House and close by is East End Farm, now better known as the Farmhouse Pub, dating from 1665.
- Mayfair Avenue (nos 11-14) with direct connections with Sir Edwin Lutyens.
- Water Tower built with the remains of Bucklands Batch pit, now in a private garden
- Borrow Pits were holes left when ballast was excavated in 1840 for the Great Western Railway embankment.
- Nailsea Court is a Grade 1 listed Jacobean mansion house within a private country estate.
- Coombe Grange Farm, formerly Smokey Hole, is the oldest of the surviving farmhouses along Youngwood Lane.
- The Tithe barn dates from around 1480. It was a basic agricultural barn for storing crops taken as taxes by the Church. The Barn has since been significantly modified over 500 years and converted to use as a school in 1789. It is now a community centre and houses the offices of Nailsea Town Council. With funding by the Heritage Lottery Fund a full restoration and expansion of the Barn was completed in 2011. Holy Trinity Church may date back to the 14th century.
- Tall Cottage A converted engine house built before 1750 as part of the Shallow Grove Coal Pit
- King’s Hill Farm When its thatched roof was replaced a receipt was found possibly indicating that some of Cromwell’s Commonwealth Troops lodged here in 1643. John Whiting’s Cottage is the earliest Quaker Meeting House in North Somerset. Here lived John and Mary Whiting, very early members of the Society of Friends (Quakers), who were imprisoned for their beliefs several times from 1679
- The Crucible is one of the few manufacturing artefacts remaining from the major glass industry in Nailsea. This was used in the Glassworks to produce cullet. It is now on the Village Green where it serves as a planter.
- Christ Church was built in 1840 to a design by George Gilbert Scott
- Stockway North Pennant Sandstone quarry is now managed as a nature reserve and used as an educational facility. This contains a variety of wildlife and a large pond, which attracts many dragonflies and amphibians
- Moorend Spout is a small waterfall flowing from Jacklands Rhyne into the Middle Yeo, traversed by the main Nailsea / Tickenham public footpath. Parallel to the new footbridge is the old clapper bridge. The nature reserve here is managed by the Nailsea Environment & Wildlife Trust.
- Tickenham Church of St Quiricus and St Julietta. There is an 11th century Norman chancel archway. The font dates from around 1300.
Please send corrections to Terry Smith ( contact form ) 24/01/2012
Some of the sites shown are on private ground and may not be seen by the public.